Advantages of the Gastric Band
The Gastric Band remains the preferred Bariatric Surgery for many patients. When choosing a surgery it is very important for the patient and surgeon to discuss the patient’s priorities and expectations when choosing between the various options.
The Gastric Band has many advantages which include¹:
- Short Surgery time. In experienced hands the gastric band surgery can be completed in 30 to 45 minutes as a day surgery which leads to a faster recovery.
- The procedure is REVERSIBLE. Unlike other surgeries a portion of the stomach is not removed or is the intestine bypassed with new connections altering your anatomy. The band can be removed and your anatomy has not been reversed
- There is no malabsorption of nutrients with the band as the small intestine is not “bypassed” so there is no need for life long vitamin supplementation.
- The level of restriction is adjustable and as result it can be changed over time to match your weight loss goals/needs
- Has been shown to be a safe surgery with 100,000’s of surgeries performed world-wide.
Please feel to book a complimentary consult with one of our EWL Gastric Band experts.
- Niville E et al. A mid-term Experience with the Cousin Bioring – Adjustable Gastric Band. Obes Surg 2011; May 5.
Individual results may vary.